What is better: routers with 2.4 or 5 GHz frequency?
Everyone knows that wireless Wi-Fi access points (routers) operate at 2.4 frequency or at 5 GHz frequency. Routers with higher frequency range, as a fact, came to our life recently, so it’s innovative device for our times.
Advantages and disadvantages of routers operating at 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency
- 2.4 GHz routers have smaller price regarding routers with higher frequency rage, so you can buy it if your budget is limited.
- 5 GHz routers can send data at higher speed. It is possible because of short waves. This advantage is important for people, who like watching films in Full HD or 4k.
- Nowadays, there are a lot of devices use the same frequency as 2.4 GHz routers, so this type of wireless devices is more prone to interference. It is harder to face with this problem on higher frequency. Check here how to make your router’s signal better.
- 5 GHz frequency provides you more communication channels than lower frequency.
- Small obstacles can spoil work of 5 GHz routers, so better if router has line sight with device. Here you can find out what place in your apartments is good to place wireless device here. Internet connection will be better if router and device are placed in the same room.
- A lot of smartphones and other devices can’t find wireless access point on 5 GHz frequency.
- People around you usually have 2.4 GHz frequency routers, so if all routers operate simultaneously, there will be interference between each other. 5 GHz is rare device in people’s apartments, so be sure to don’t face this problem with device working on high frequency rage.
- For sending data on long distances better choose 5 GHz wireless home router.
Only your requirements and purposes of usage influence on what type of router you should choose, but if you don’t know what you want, you could buy wireless device that supports both frequencies. It will help you to check and select necessary frequency. Changing of it doesn’t take a lot of time.